Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Solidarity

Recently at Knott's Land Care, LLC we rolled out a new work order system for our winter work (come spring, it will be in place for year-round applications). "So what?", "Big Deal" right?

It is a big deal. This system will allow our company to stay in better touch with our staff during a winter weather event, giving us real-time information as to what properties have been, are and will be serviced soon. Still, "So What?". This system runs on smart phones and was created with Free software. We looked at a few different programs that were at least $10,000.00 to roll out.
This program is genius in its simplicity and it was born through collaboration and team work.

Knott's is part of a trade association called the Snow and Ice Management Association (SIMA) http://www.sima.org/ I am an active member, being the Chair of the Membership Committee and a member of the Certification Committee. Through SIMA I have met several great people with whom I keep regular communication. On a few occasions I was discussing work flow with my good friend Michael Merrill, CEO of North Country Snow and Ice Management of Glens Falls, NY. He shared with me how his staff was keeping track of their time on a spread sheet that was accessed via a smart phone. I took the idea and brought it to my staff and communicated my vision of how this could work for Knott's. They ran with it and in a couple of weeks created what we are now rolling out. I, in turn have shared this back with Michael and some other peers in our network.

We have saved each other money, increased internal communication and efficiency and thus are able to provide even better service to our clients. Furthermore, the project has given my staff a new sense of pride, ownership and teamwork; Solidarity.

This is one example of collaboration and team work among and between companies. Was it necessary to share? Absolutely not. Does it improve our companies, staff and industry? Absolutely.

What do I call this activity? Solidarity. Will the application of Solidarity improve your industry and your company? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment